Great summer opportunity with Camp Fire to serve Alaska’s kids and engage rural communities! Travel to communities throughout the state from the Aleutians to the Arctic Circle bringing programs that focus on community engagement from youth to elders, outdoor recreation, and healthy life choices.
Staff teams provide two, three, or four-week long traveling day camp programs to rural communities. Primary duties include, developing and implementing quality youth and community programs. Activities may include swimming, cold water safety, hiking, biking, outdoor education, arts and crafts, group games, team building, cooking, and sports. Other components of the program include evening activities focused on teen and elder involvement including potlucks, camp fires with storytelling, camp outs, and more!
Staff must be comfortable traveling in small aircraft and living un-plugged in remote areas for extended periods of time. Cultural sensitivity and experience working with at- risk or under-served youth preferred.
As swimming and cold water safety are important components of this program, current or past lifeguard, swim instructor or swift water experience preferred or may be required. BA/BS in community development, education, or outdoor recreation preferred.
Current First Aid and CPR required.
• Provide safe and fun outdoor education and living skills activities to youth to meet community need.
• Manage aquatic skill building in a variety of challenging water environments.
• Maintain all emergency and risk management policies and procedures for risk-reduction.
• Ability to travel in small aircraft and live un-plugged in remote areas for extended periods of time.
• Role-modeling of positive adult roles and responsibilities the entire stay in communities.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds.
• Health & Fitness: Possesses adequate vision, hearing acuity, physical ability, strength, and stamina to perform the required responsibilities of activities in open water and the rigorous physical duties associated with the rural program.
• Work environment may involve frequent exposure to disagreeable elements.
• Work environment is in remote communities in rural Alaska.